Skip to Content
Accessibility Assistance | resize text: increase font size - decrease font size | reset | print
Sonoma County Waste Management Agency

Business: Household Toxics Facility

Household Toxics Facility Find free paint recycling retail locations

Resources for toxics disposal

Recycling Guide Toxics Disposal Page (PDF: 465 kB)
Despojo de productos tóxicos del hogar (PDF: 453 kB)

Household Toxics Facility brochure / Lugar adonde llevar Productos Tóxicos del Hogar folleto  (PDF: 4.49 MB)

HazMobile toxic waste drop-off for Northern Sonoma County

Recolección de desperdicios tóxicos para el norte del Condado de Sonoma

Common questions and answers

Q. What is the process?
A. 1. Download Business Hazardous Waste Disposal Forms from this website.
2. Obtain an EPA Waste ID number (if needed).
3. Submit paperwork by fax or email to receive an appointment and pricing information.

Q. Will this program meet the disposal requirements of regulating agencies?
A. You will receive a receipt of disposal for your records that will satisfy regulatory disposal requirements. Receipts and all records should be kept for a minimum of three years.

Q. If my business generates more than 100 kilograms of one type of waste, but I have only 1 gallon of something else that my regular hauler won’t accept, can I bring it to this program?
A. You must generate less than 100 kilograms of all hazardous wastes to qualify to use this program.

Q. Does using this program mean my business will be inspected for hazardous waste?
A. The Sonoma County Waste Management Agency is not a regulatory agency.

Q. Who are the regulatory agencies for my business?
A. Contact the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) for your area:
Healdsburg         (707) 431-3360
Santa Rosa         (707) 543-3500
Petaluma            (707) 778-4390
All other areas     (707) 565-1152

Business Hazardous WasteServices are available for businesses that qualify as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators per regulations (CCR Title 22 §66260.10), which are businesses that generate 100 kilograms (27 gallons liquid or 220 pounds solid) or less of hazardous waste per month. The Agency offers two options: the Household Toxics Facility and Community Toxics Collections. There are also options for Sonoma County residents.

Business program at the Household Toxics Facility

Located at the Central Disposal Site, the Household Toxics Facility is open for drop-off of hazardous waste from qualifying Sonoma County businesses.

Appointment: Appointment required. To make an appointment, download the following forms and fax (707-795-2071, fax) or email and attach the completed questionnaire and inventory forms. If you have any questions, please call (707) 795-2025, option 2/ (877) 747-1870.

Appointment line staffed M-F from 8am to 2:30pm or leave a message.

Hours: Tuesdays & Wednesdays 8:30 am–1:30 pm

Location: Central Disposal Site (Bldg. 5) at 500 Mecham Road, Petaluma get map

Forms & fees:Paperwork required. $25 processing fee plus disposal fees based on type and quantity of waste. Download forms here:

  • Fax cover sheet (Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document: 44 KB)
  • Questionnaire (Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document: 40.5 KB)
  • Inventory (Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document: 53 KB) or
  • download a .pdf of the complete package Business Hazardous Waste In-Take Forms (PDF: 61.2 KB)
  • Required Obtain a California EPA ID Number
    State law requires hazardous waste generators to have an EPA Identification Number. All participants of the Business Hazardous Waste Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number to transport hazardous waste to the Household Toxics Facility for disposal. If all you have is latex paint and/or Universal Waste (Fluorescent tubes/bulbs and other mercury-containing lamps, household batteries, rechargeable batteries, button batteries, thermostats, thermometers, non-empty aerosol cans) you do not need an EPA ID number.

    Types of EPA ID Numbers:
    • California Permanent ID Numbers
      Businesses that generate waste on an ongoing basis must have a permanent ID number, you must complete the required application, DTSC Form 1358. There is no fee to obtain a permanent ID number. It will take approximately 3 to 5 business days to process your application. Remember, if 5 or more tons of hazardous waste will be generated in a calendar year on your permanent ID number, generator fees may be due. Go to the Board of Equalization website
    • California Temporary ID Numbers
      Temporary ID numbers (90-day numbers) are issued to people or businesses that do not generate hazardous waste on an ongoing basis. Temporary ID numbers must now be obtained online. DTSC no longer issues temporary ID numbers by phone, only online to apply for a temporary ID number. There is no fee to obtain a temporary ID number. If you have any questions, please contact DTSC at (800) 618-6942. When you hear the recorded message, press 1 and then 3 to speak to staff. Remember if 5 or more tons of hazardous waste will be generated in a calendar year on a temporary ID number, generator fees apply. Go to the Board of Equalization website

Toxics disposal options for all kinds of businesses:

Use the "What would you like to recycle?" search function at the top of this web page. Choose the topic "Hazardous waste transporters”

Sonoma County Waste Management Agency ● 2300 County Center Drive, Suite B-100 ● Santa Rosa, CA 95403